Quilling can be used to make greeting cards, decorating objects and even building three-dimensional sculptures. In this post, I will show you simple technique to make flower out of quilling stripes. You would require
1. 5 pink/red (any color of your choice) strips for flower
2. Quilling needle
3. Glue Stick/Fevicol
5. Template with Circles (any stationary shop will have that)
At the end, we will have flower that looks like this.
1. Insert the end of the paper into the needle of quilling tool.
2. Turn the slotted tool towards you. Place your thumb or index finger at the very tip of the slotted tool: this will prevent the paper from slipping off the tool. Use the other fingers to guide the strip of paper so that it rolls into an even plug (called a tight coil).
3. Gently pull the roll off the needle and put in into the circles template. Choose a circle of your choice. It should not be very big in diameter. Let the paper unrolls up to the size of the circle.
4. Glue the strip at the end and let it dry for few seconds.
Quilled Rolled Flowers
5. Take the coil out and pinch it on one side. You’ve just got one of the basic quilling shapes (see at the end of this article), which is called a “teardrop”. There are lot of different shapes that can be made, but the idea is always the same: roll and pinch.
6. Make petals for the flower in the same manner and glue them together.
7. Make a peg shape in yellow by rolling a tight coil (you don’t release it before gluing) using a strip of paper (preferably in different color), then glue it closed while it’s still on the tool. Gently ease off the peg from the tool.
Quilled Tight Roll (Peg)
8. To finish add a dot of glue to the centre of the flower and add the yellow centre on top.
After making few flowers, you will get the confidence to try out different designs and shapes. You can search various designs on intranet and try to make them. Below is the guide that will show you different shapes that can be made from Quilling.